Friday, March 2, 2012

His Ravished Heart.

"I have loved you with an everlasting love." -Jeremiah 31:3.

It took me a long time to begin to believe that God could be in love with me. That He misses me when I don't spend time with Him. That His thoughts are filled up with me. That He thinks I'm beautiful.

There are so many times I have forgotten Him. Personally, that's one of my biggest insecurities--when people forget about me. I make myself so quiet and small, it shouldn't surprise me when it happens. But I hate it when I'm hurting and no one notices, when I feel like the tag-along, the puppy-dog, and if I suddenly vanished no one would really mind. Yet, all too often I treat God like that. Like He doesn't matter. Like He's an afterthought. Like He's not even there.

But God never, ever does that to me. Once, He even spoke it over me, and I can still hear that promise, whispered in a voice heavier than audibility: I will never forget you.

He loves us too much for that. We are constantly on His mind, in His heart. He's showing up on our doorstep with arms full of flowers, and He's writing us letters filled with non-cheesy poetry about His affections, and He's throwing jealous punches at all the cheap imitations of love we fall for, and He's holding out a hand to ask for a dance, and on, and on, into everlasting...


How can we possibly have given up a love like this? How can we have forsaken our first love? This is the height from which we have fallen (Revelation 2:4)! Why do we settle for anything less than happily-ever-after, when God offers us a romance like this one?

No comments:

Post a Comment