Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Experience the Awesome.

"LORD, I have heard of your fame; I stand in awe of your deeds, O LORD. Renew them in our day, in our time make them known." -Habakkuk 3:2
This has been my prayer. One of them, at least--I have many. We serve an awesome God. Many of us have heard about His awesomeness since childhood. We've heard about the miracles God did in the Old Testament, the miracles of Jesus and the early Church in the New Testament. We've sung "Our God is an Awesome God" more times than we can remember. God is awesome. Yes, we've heard.

We've heard that He is a God who moves mountains. No, I'm not just talking metaphorically here. I'm talking about a God who said He would literally pick up a mountain and move it if we had the faith to ask and believe, a God who said "Nothing will be impossible for you," (Matthew 17:20).

We've heard that He is a God who heals. Again, I'm not talking about the figurative side that we tend to emphasize, God "healing your heart", though of course, He does that as well, and in truth it is a far more important and miraculous affair. But we need to recognize that God also heals physically, instantaneously, inexplicably. Jesus did it over and over again while He was here on Earth, and then told His disciples in John 14:12, "I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father," (emphasis added).

We've heard that He is a God who parts seas, calms storms, comes in a fire, comes in a cloud, comes in a whisper, makes people fall on their faces, walks on water, opens the eyes of the blind, brings the dead to life, brings water out of rock, rains bread down from heaven, creates galaxies with a single command. And we are His children.

But no matter how many times we are told, the words about His awesomeness will never truly sink in if we do not experience it for ourselves. His mountain-moving, cancer-healing, water-walking, world-creating, mind-blowing, law-defying, box-breaking awesomeness. The American Church is so far away from understanding the weight of His glory. And we are so far away from understanding the epic calling He has placed on are lives as His ambassadors, His children, His vessels of light to a world drowning in the dark.

Dear God, give us the thirst to seek Your face, and the faith to be Your hands. So that one day You may change our prayer, and we will say with Job:
"My ears had heard of you, but now my eyes have seen you." -Job 42:5

No comments:

Post a Comment