Monday, June 4, 2012

Twinkle, Little Star.

"Do everything without complaining or arguing." -Philippians 2:14

This is my goal for the summer. Normally, I shoot for things that seem a little more spiritual and important--faith, wisdom, peace--those sorts of things. But I stumbled across this verse the other day, and it suddenly struck me (especially now that I am once again living under my parents' roof) how whiny and lazy I am.

And when I continued reading, I discovered that this command that we often conveniently overlook comes with a pretty  incredible claim attached. Verse 15: "Then you will be innocent and without any wrong. You will be God's children without fault...You shine like stars in the dark world."

Innocent? Without any wrong? Shining like stars? All because we don't complain or argue?

Here's the problem. Complaining and arguing are rooted in hearts of ingratitude and selfishness, causing dissension in a Body that God has called to unity. We're not talking about small, insignificant sins here. They may seem small at the time--a barely audible grumble under our breath, or even just an invisible thought churning in our mind--but these "small" complaints are indicators of a much larger, skewed attitude that has corrupted what should be a servant's heart.

So fight with me. Pay attention the next time your boss, or your teacher, or your mother, or your friend, or your enemy, or whoever, asks (or demands) that you do something. When you open your mouth to argue that it's unfair, remember that it's not about you anyway. When the complaints start rolling through your head like over-played advertisements, bring to mind instead all the mercies God has shown you.

It's not going to be easy. But it's a part of being free.

No comments:

Post a Comment