Tuesday, April 24, 2012

For Those Tired of Running:

Everything will be fine.

We miss so much of our lives because we forget that. Several people lately have reminded me to slow down, and I am trying. With graduation looming ahead, I have a lot on my mind and on my schedule. So many emotions are spinning through me, I revert to zombie-mode to avoid processing them all. But how much am I missing out on in the meantime?

Today was my last day of classes, and I decided beforehand that it was going to be a good one. Admittedly, I still found myself sprinting through the first half of the day, finishing up assignments that were due later that afternoon. But as I sat in my last two classes, I began to pay attention. I have spent my entire life taking this opportunity to sit in a classroom and learn for granted; today, I drank it in, savoring each drop.

Afterwards, I walked to another building across campus. The sun was warm and the breeze was light. The walk is so familiar to me, but I made sure to open my eyes wide for the sweeping field stretching out on my left, for every tree that lined the sidewalk.

When I thought of the tree with the swing, I knew I would have to stop. I cut across the grass to it, settled on the plank of wood and wrapped my hands around the chains. I kicked the tree roots gently to propel me into motion. I listened to my iPod until it died, then just listened to the wind. I leaned my body backwards until I could see the world upside-down. I sang quietly to Jesus. I closed my eyes and let the swing rock me.

These moments are our gift. They are our promise.

Everything will be fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment