Sunday, April 29, 2012

429 Memory Ln.

I have a fondness for Memory Lane. I love looking back through old photos, notes, home videos, journal entries, tracing the way God has shaped my life thus far, following that pattern of footprints to the present. It reminds me of two things:

(One.) Every major point of transition in my life has been painful. At times, I could not believe that anything good could come out of it. I have always hated change, hated goodbyes, hated the phrases moving on and letting go. But, in spite of all my fear and unbelief, out of those painful circumstances, something beautiful emerged. Every single time.

(Two.) I have had enough blessings in my past to last me a lifetime. I'm only twenty-one years-old, but God has already given me more than most people will have over the course of their entire lives. If God were to say to me right now, "From here on out, you will experience only hardship and loss in your life," I know it would not be enough to outweigh all the good He has poured over me in the past.

Of course, I can't spend my whole life looking at old photographs. I read somewhere recently that you can't begin a new chapter of your life until you stop rereading all the old ones. I have been doing a lot of rereading lately, and though those chapters have been a comfort to me in this time of transitioning, I know, deep down beneath the fear and doubt--it is time to turn the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment