Friday, March 1, 2013

It Really Is You.

Last night, our weekly meeting of Jesus-lovin' young-adults centered around the story of Peter walking to Jesus on the water. It's one I've heard so many times, I have a tendency to think I know all there is to know about it.

But, as usual, God proved me wrong.

Other than the message relating directly to the Holy Spirit's movement in this present time, mirroring the words of many of my prayers lately, and using the word "bold" about five thousand times (for the significance of that last one, see my "Ninja in the Night" entry)--there was one other thing that struck me as we discussed the passage in Matthew 14. It was verse 29.

Jesus said, "Come."

When Peter asked to join Jesus on the water, Jesus didn't say, "Hang on. Not yet, Peter. Your faith isn't quite ready for that. Maybe in a few months or so, we'll test you on a puddle or something." He didn't say, "Wait a minute, Peter. Let me get over there so I can hold your hand." No. Despite the fact that Jesus knew Peter was going to take his eyes off Him and start to sink, He welcomed Peter's desire, his boldness. So Jesus said, "Come."

God is waiting for His kids to ask for greater things. He's waiting for the ones who want to be right next to Him, regardless of the oceans they must cross and the crosses they must carry. He's waiting to hear those words: Lord, if it really is You, then command me to come to You.

He won't hesitate. Not for a second. He'll simply smile, and say, Come.


No comments:

Post a Comment