Thursday, March 7, 2013

Jealous for Me.

He is a jealous God. It's a phrase I've heard often enough within the Church, usually followed by hurried explanations regarding the difference between human jealousy and divine jealousy, a swiftly-constructed barricade against any thought that our Creator's jealous nature might in some way mirror our own version of jealousy--petty, selfish, and insecure.

Still, in spite of the explanations, God's jealousy was never my favorite attribute to dwell on. It didn't bring the comforting warmth that came with considerations of His beauty and love and grace, or even the solid pulse of justice that arose from thoughts of His righteous anger.

But then (I'm learning my stories are full of buts). God gave me a revelation.

Yes, I am a jealous God. I am too jealous for you to let anything come between us. Nothing can stand in My way. As I have already spoken: Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation.

And I suddenly felt so safe. He is jealous for me. He's not going to give up, though my fickle heart falls for false lovers and frail idols. He won't allow me to live with a divided, broken heart. He'll never relent, until He has it all. My complete attention, my whole heart, wrapped in His perfect embrace. It will be the most beautiful of days. It will be the day when all is set right.

No comments:

Post a Comment