Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Easy as 1-2-3.

It really is that simple. He is our God. And our God never fails. His plan is perfect, every time, down to the most minute ripple that stirs the waters of our lives. We flatter ourselves into thinking we have the power to dismantle His Kingdom with a single mistake or wrong turn on our part, but it isn’t true. Because even our blunders serve to reveal the true genius of His artistry. Jonah thought He was running away from God’s plan, but he ran (or swam, to be more specific) straight into it—“it” being the shadowed, rank belly of a whale, which became a vivid portrait of grace and forgiveness and love.

I am often so paranoid about taking a wrong step, I am afraid to move. How faithless am I to live as if God would desert me if I made a mistake? How arrogant am I to live as if I could find a place to fall where God couldn’t catch me? How ridiculous am I to live as if God’s goodness was dependent on my own?

I pretend like I’m being spiritual, figuring out exactly what God wants me to do before making a move. But in reality, I’m still making myself the center of the universe. Acting as though the fate of the world rests in my ability to read the signs and choose the correct door. Forgetting that while I’m off making plans (and questioning myself every minute along the way), God is determining my steps.

So. Here’s to moving. Here’s to life-altering decisions and irreversible steps. Here's to making mistakes. There’s no reason to be afraid; my God has promised to be with me wherever I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment