Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Why I'm Single.

I don't listen to love songs anymore. I avoid romantic movies, when I can. I scroll quickly through "I <3 him" Facebook statuses and "waiting for a godly man" memes. I cut off imaginings of my future husband. I often fight any feelings of affection for the men in my life. And I stubbornly refuse to "date" or "be in a relationship."

It's not easy. And it's not forever. It's not out of bitterness toward couples--some need to rebel against the culture and charge ahead with a banner declaring my singleness. It's not out of resentment toward men--my respect toward them has only increased, not decreased, in recent months. It's not out of a holier-than-thou mentality that seeks to create rules in order that I might feel better about myself.

No. The reason I'm staying away from romance is because I struggle with it so. It's because this root of my insecurity goes down deep. It's because I've spent years despising my singleness, even hating myself because of it, certain that it was my own irredeemable flaws that left me alone. It's because some part of me still believes that marriage will save me, though my Spirit knows it's a lie. It's because my desire to "fall in love" is an idol I must cast down every day.

It's because my heart is deceitful, and it is always telling me that now is the time love desires to be awakened.

That was why, when I received my second confirmation that now is not the right time, I felt the emotions simultaneously, in equal measure--the disappointment, and the relief.

Because no, this path isn't easy. But it is right.

Daughters of Jerusalem, I charge you: Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires. -Song of Songs 8:4

2 comments:

  1. It's interesting to hear the perspective of others. I, also, haven't involved myself in matters of that sort. My motivation has been everything from misanthropy to purity to cynicism. (Sadly I don't get it right, as it should be waiting on God's timing.)

    (To be uncomfortably honest,) popular media often depicts [the world's version of] love as the only way to a "happily ever after," or that every problem is solved by it. It's easy to get wrapped up in that and begin to idolize it.

    Whenever the world flaunts the pale and incomplete imitations (of love) it possesses I should, as a Christian, realize that they're longing for the perfect love that only God can offer. The world has temporary solutions which can be alluring, but God Himself is love, He is eternal, He is the source of strength and joy, and He alone is what(who) we should be longing for.

    ReplyDelete