Monday, April 1, 2013

Dumpster Diving.

The phrase is found in John's account of the feeding of the five thousand, a few simple words spoken by Jesus that are easily overlooked: Let nothing be wasted (John 6:12).

We look with shame at the mistakes of our past, crumple the memories in our hands like a letter for which we could not find the right words, toss it into the trash heap and hope no one goes looking. But the words continue to haunt us, our flaws drawn before our eyes in hues of neon highlighter, and we try to ignore them, try to hide, try to run.

Until we hear God digging through our trash. Our heart sinks at the sound, and we come running. We tug desperately at His arm, pleading, Not that, God, I don't want anyone to see that. But He shakes His head and says, Let nothing be wasted.

He pulls out the scraps of rotting fish, the torn pieces of moldy bread. He turns toward us then, and lifts our tear-brimmed eyes to His own. And we are amazed, because His eyes are filled with love.

He says, Beloved. I have loved you and called you, and I am working all things together for your good. Even the mistakes. Even the pain. Even the sorrow. Why have you thrown it away? The Enemy intended it for evil, but I will make it good. Behold, all things have become new. Nothing will be wasted. Not a single moment. What you see as a meager portion, I am prepared to multiply. What you have in abundance, allow to overflow. I have not missed a single detail; I count every drop of oil that anoints the numbered strands of your hair. I know you, completely, and love you. 

I am not a God of waste, Beloved. So stop throwing yourself away.



1 comment: