Monday, January 21, 2013

More Than Stem-Deep.



Listening to a worship song in Sunday School, the words caught the ear of my heart: I'm still just a seed, not yet a tree...

And I thought back to the time, several years ago, when my faith had suddenly exploded with new growth, and I truly felt like a tree--nourished by heaven, raising my branches high, spreading my leaves wide to drink in the sunlight.

But most days lately, I don't feel like that anymore. I am merely a seed, small and insignificant. Maybe a single stem, peeking out of the soil--but certainly not a flourishing plant of constant, upward growth.

That was when, in the midst of my muddied thoughts, God said to me--I'm growing your roots.

And as my heart began to churn, anticipating more, Truth poured in like a flood.

Maybe the growth is not as obvious as it was before; you cannot see the green shoots springing from soil, or the bright blossoms unfurling lovely petals. On the surface, it may seem as if nothing's changed, but do not look at the outward appearance, little one--look at the heart. I am rooting your heart deep in me. I am removing the rocks from your soil so you will not wither when the times of trouble come.

You are only a mustard seed, but mustard seeds grow into trees that sprout branches for the birds to rest in, branches that reach to heaven; mustard seeds move mountains. Because my power is enough to multiply even the smallest of offerings. All I ask, is that you offer it.

And when He spoke that life over me, I smiled. His words always make me happy.




No comments:

Post a Comment