Wednesday, January 23, 2013

(More) Lessons in Love.

Love her as I love her. 

Another thing God spoke to me recently. He was speaking to my mind about myself ("her"). Of course, my mind is a part of myself, but sometimes God has to do silly things like this, speaking to us in second- and third-person simultaneously, separating the old creature from the new one, in order to help us understand.

Stop speaking lies over her. Your lies hold her back, stunt her growth, squelch her faith. I have given her a beautiful destiny. I have given her power. I have given her My Spirit. I love her. Love her as I love her. Speak life over her, not lies. She has so much potential, waiting to be released from the walls you've dammed her up in. No more discouraging words. No more tearing down. No more reminders of past failings. She is My daughter, and you will not speak to her this way anymore.

It's an odd sensation, to have your mind scolded so fiercely while your spirit is set free. But that is how He said it to me, last Thursday night. Because He wanted me to realize that I am a person, too. His child, who deserves, by the blood of Jesus who saved me, the same honor and respect and love as His other children.

God is not pleased when we disparage ourselves; we win no humility points for it. To turn our judging eye upon our own hearts is not the correct alternative to turning it away from others. Rather, it is better to pluck that condemning eye out altogether--for there is now no condemnation for us who are in Christ Jesus and walk after the Spirit (Romans 8:1-4).

So just, stop it. Stop the beating, the insults, the you can never get this right. Those thoughts, though running through your mind, did not originate there. Do not claim them as your own. They do not belong to you. Those thoughts came from the Enemy, the one who hates you and fears the power you carry. Because he knows, if you could really learn to love yourself, even the messiest pieces, you just might learn to love others that way--with the love that comes from God Himself. The love that shatters the gates of Hell.

2 comments:

  1. I'm having a hard time with this. I've been getting more optimistic but God seems to be more silent than he has before in my life. I mean I still hear from Him but I'm having a hard time figuring out and understanding all that he's trying to tell me. Like I'm not getting any answers because he's already given me one, and I feel as though it's right in front of my face but I don't realize it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely relate; one of my greatest fears is missing out on the voice of God. But God once brought to my mind the verse about how sheep know their shepherd's voice, and God said to me: "You will hear My voice, and you will know." I still struggle with believing that, sometimes. But all we can do is trust His promises--and He promised that those who seek Him, find Him.

      Delete