Thursday, December 13, 2012

And He Came.

I've been searching for a job for months. Filling out application after application, reworking my resume innumerable times, writing eloquent cover letters, taking personality surveys, pestering potential employers with phone calls every few days, reciting the answers to interview questions in my head. Months of this routine, and nothing, absolutely nothing, to show for it.

A week ago, I reached my breaking point. The volcanic emotional sludge that had slowly been encasing my heart was on the verge of a destructive explosion that would most likely wipe out all life within a ten-mile radius. It took all the self-control I possessed (and probably a large portion I didn't) to keep the roiling emotions contained. 

But the containment couldn't last forever. And that's when things began to happen very quickly.

Thursday: That evening, I went to a Bible study. Being around fellow Jesus-lovers alleviated my dark mood, calming me enough to hear God speak. He told me I had been selfish. He told me that it was time to stop justifying my misery, as if I deserved to wallow in self-pity just because life wasn't panning out exactly the way I wanted. So, I took His hand and left the idols of my future expectations broken on the ground. In return, He gave me peace.

Friday: A friend informed me about a job opening, and I applied. 

Monday: I received a call to come in for an interview. 

Tuesday: After writing in my prayer journal and placing everything in God's hands, I went to the interview. 

Wednesday (today): I was offered the job. I accepted. I may also have jumped around in a circle in excitement. 

Months and months of searching and striving and dumping in my human efforts, when all along, He was just waiting for me to give it to Him. To acknowledge my own weakness so He could meet me there. He accomplished in a week what I could not do in six months. 

Tell me there is no God; your words will never be enough to convince me. For I see His hand everywhere I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment