Saturday, May 28, 2011

I Had a Dream.

The night before last, I had a dream (which, I'm sure, after reading the title of this post, you're shocked to discover). I don't remember the context of the dream, or even very many of the details.

What I do remember: I was in a room full of people. Some I recognized, some I didn't. Some whom I knew were Christians, others whom I knew were not. And I was yelling at the top of my lungs. I don't recall exactly what I was saying, but it was something to the effect of: WHY AREN'T YOU PEOPLE LISTENING? CAN'T YOU HEAR ME CRYING OUT? DON'T YOU SEE THAT I'M FALLING APART? But I was, for whatever reason, invisible. The people around me were oblivious to my desperation.

Ironically, when someone did finally take notice of me and begin talking to me, it was someone that I recognized, and I am (almost) certain that this person does not know Christ. Of all the people in that room, this was the one who reached out to me.

God distinctly revealed to me the spiritual nature of the dream while I was still within it, and I was floored. How many people around us are crying out, screaming in desperation, begging anyone to listen? Not with their literal voice, but with their eyes, their body language, their Facebook statuses? How many people do we ignore every day because we are wrapped up in our on little world? How many people do we push aside because our own proud, self-righteous judgments against them?

And the fact that it was an unsaved person who reached out to me in the dream is probably accurate. We Christians are so afraid of getting our hands "dirty". We stay in our church buildings and perform our church activities with other church people, condemning the very people we should be out loving. The Church is not famous for her love; she is famous for her judgement and hypocrisy.

Dear children, open your eyes. People are hurting right outside your doorstep. And you have the Spirit of God, of Love itself, at your disposal, the Spirit that longs to heal the wounded, restore the broken, lift up the faces of the downtrodden. Just like He did for us, not so very long ago. And now he calls us. To be His hands. To be His feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment