Monday, February 18, 2013

All Together Now.

I've been saying we a lot lately. I used to have the opposite tendency; whenever I read Scripture or sang songs to God that used the collective terms of we or us, I'd often personalize it to I or me. It was what I needed at the time--for God to pick me out of the crowd, call me by name, focus in on the individual strands of hair on my head. I needed to know that He saw me.

But God is drawing me into a new season. He is opening my eyes to the bigger picture, expanding my vision to line up with His. This is the season of the Church, rising up with one Body, unified in the Spirit. This is a season of the severance of the denominational and ideological binds that have for so long divided us. This is a season of the fulfillment of Jesus' prayer:
"I pray for those who will believe in me, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one. I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me." (John 17:20-23). 
Complete unity. Does it sound impossible? It should, because it is. But I've said it a thousand times, and I'll say it a thousand more: Our God is a God of the impossible.

This is bigger than you, and it's bigger than me. God is raising up His sons and daughters in this nation, anointing them with a deeper passion to dive into His mysteries. I've heard testimonies of God moving powerfully in the lives of friends in different states, different cities, simultaneously. And I've witnessed His power moving in this city--in different churches, different denominations. Because the truth is, there is no difference.
"You were all baptized into Christ, and so you were all clothed with Christ. This means that you are all children of God through faith in Christ Jesus. In Christ, there is no difference between Jew and Greek, slave and free person, male and female. You are all one in Christ Jesus. You belong to Christ, so you are Abraham's descendants. You will inherit all of God's blessings because of the promise God made to Abraham." (Galatians 3:26-27) 
Therefore:
"Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought. Just as each one of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given to us. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves." (Romans 12:3-6, 10)
And:
‎"Do not owe people anything, except always owe love to each other, because the person who loves others has obeyed all the law. Do this because we live in an important time. It is now time for you to wake up from your sleep, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. The 'night' is almost finished, and the 'day' is almost here. So we should stop doing things that belong to darkness and take up the weapons used for fighting in the light." (Romans 13:8, 11-12)
A bit overwhelming? But that's not even the beginning. Read Colossians 3:11-15. Read the book of 1 John. We are a family. We are an army. We are a body. We are one.

A revival of love is stirring in the hearts of God's children. I have heard it; I have seen it; I have felt it. And I'm learning I'm crazy enough to believe it. Believe with me. The Spirit of God is calling. And if we answer, we will take this world by storm.

1 comment:

  1. You're not crazy. God has given me vision for a unified Body of Christ also. It's something that I deal with in my daily life being that I grew up Catholic and am disgusted with the divisions in the Church.

    ReplyDelete