Friday, September 28, 2012

You'll Never Know, Dear, How Much I Love You.

(This much.) I brought the world into being for you. Birthed from my words: sun and moon, sky and sea, planets and atoms. But you, beloved--you I formed with my breath. I called you by name. I gave you the beautiful kingdom I had created, and we walked together on its garden-woven ground.

(This much.) It broke my heart, the day you abandoned me. When you drank the poison that would cause all you touched to wither and warp, when I felt your spirit tear away from mine, I grieved as I had never grieved before, for I knew then that you were lost to me--but not forever, little one. I loved you too much to give you over to Death, in spite of your betrayal.

(This much.) I sent my son, spirit of my spirit, to the crumbling kingdom. He wrapped his spirit in flesh, and entered the binds of Time. The poison tried to enter him, but his spirit was too strong, for he was yet one with me. Because the poison could not enter his spirit, it stripped him of his flesh, and his blood ran down in thick rivers. But this was not the end. For my son sucked the poison of the broken kingdom into himself, and in that instant, my only son was torn from me; he cried, but I could not hear. We had never known such pain, and the sky turned black and the earth trembled with my sorrow, but we endured it, for you. That was the day of the greatest sacrifice. That was the day we snatched you back from Death.

(This much.) When my son had wrestled Death and returned to me, we sent our spirit back down to the bleeding kingdom. I searched for you, in the deepest crevices and farthest corners of the earth, that I might share this gift, this gift that would bring you back to me. I asked you to join me in the restoration of the kingdom. Though you rejected me again and again, living as though the poison still held you, I would not relent. You were my chosen one, your name written on the palm of my hand, and I longed to heal you.

(This much.) The day you came to me, I danced over you, so filled I was with joy. You put your hand in mine, just like it was at first, as if the poison had never come to you. But the memories of the poison yet cloud your mind, and sometimes you choose to live under the illusion of its power. You find it difficult to believe when I say you are lovely, when I tell you I have marked you with my spirit and made you new. But you are learning, and I am always giving you new reasons to help you believe.

(This much.) No matter where you wander, my love, I will find you. I will bring you safely home.

No comments:

Post a Comment