Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Dear God,

Thank you for morning, new colors bleeding into the sky, into my eyes. The days die and die again, but always, there is new life. (And) though I die a thousand times, I discover suddenly my lungs filled up with breath. My spirit wallowing in dust, You dress me in bone and flesh and sing over me until my heart is beating again.

I despise words, how they cannot describe these miracles: (such as) the way sorrow and smiles can spring simultaneously in the soul--it is a paradox, but both can be honest. Emotions, thoughts, contradictory, coexisting. And I want to fully explain where they flow from, for them, (for me). I want to understand (myself?), but I am at a loss.

Abba, what am I saying? Do You hear Your daughter when I am nonsensical? Can Your Spirit interpret what I cannot?

I know the answers to these questions. But I like to hear You tell me. It reminds me that You are listening. Maybe it's just between You and me today, Daddy. A secret, and I catch glimpses, but never quite reach its end (sometimes I spend hours spinning deep into frustration, in my attempts to unravel). Still. You are making me new, just like the morning. A shapeless smear of colors, but, oh--how the light breaks through beautifully. 

2 comments:

  1. Alyssa,
    I have just realized that I use your blog as a devotional, I hope you don't find this too odd. Your writing, like your poetry, instills a vibrant peace and a rooted tranquility upon the reader. I have always loved this quality about your work.

    Rachel Greene

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I think that's awesome! Thank you so much. :)

    ReplyDelete